The Formatt Hitech 4 x 5.65″ HD Graduated Neutral Density Soft Edge Filter Kit is an essential tool for both fine art photographers and professional cinematographers alike.
Soft Edge graduated filters transition across the filter toward the centre, and although there is a horizon line, it is subtle. This allows for horizon transitions to be more easily hidden in a scene, especially with an undulating horizon line such as mountains, buildings or trees.
Graduated filters have an effect that occurs on one area of the filter and transitions to clear on other areas of the filter. Typically graduated filters are used to enhance the sky or terrain, or balance the luminosity of the sky to the luminosity of the terrain. For hard and soft grad filters, colours are often deployed (such as sunset or twilight) to enhance the colour of the sky.
The Soft Edge grad is the ideal tool for balancing bright sky to a dark terrain where the horizon is uneven.
- Manufactured in the UK to scientific standards using the highest grade of optical resin or Schott Superwite glass
- Chamfered corners to minimise breakage and maximise the lifespan of the product
- Generally, use soft grads for wide lenses and hard grads for long lenses
Neutral Density factors
- ND 0.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO 1/2)
- ND 0.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4)
- ND 0.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO 1/8)