The Sound Devices 442 is a professional 4 input, portable audio mixer designed for mixing audio in film, ENG / EFP, video and broadcast applications. The mixer features 4 balanced 3-pin XLR inputs capable of accepting microphone and line signal (user switchable on every input). The output stage features stereo (L/R) XLR outputs with individually switchable mic, line or -10dB output impedance.
Every input features a dedicated “Direct Output”, which is used to distribute audio to external devices. +48V, +12V and +12V-T phantom power is available and is individually switchable on every channel. Each channel features peak limiter and low-cut filter dials as well as volume, gain and pan controls. Channels 1 & 2 can be linked for stereo monitoring or M-S stereo decoding. The unit is powered with 4 – AA alkaline batteries or external 5-18V DC.
- 4 Balanced XLR Inputs: The mixer’s flexibility begins with it’s 4 balanced XLR inputs. All 4 inputs are individually switchable to accept line or microphone level signals.
- Direct Outputs: Every input features a dedicated output via TA3-male connectors. The direct outs are ideal for feeding individual channel signal to external devices.
- M-S Decoding :Channels 1-2 can be linked for stereo capturing and M-S stereo monitoring. Channel 1 features a phase reverse switch.
- Variable Gain: Continuously variable gain allows level contouring on every channel, resulting in higher signal to noise ratio.
- Variable Low-Cut Filter: Continuously variable low-cut filter dials are located on each channel, eliminating low frequency noise between 80 – 240Hz
- Peak Limiting: Input and output peak limiters eliminate signal over load that can cause noise and distortion.