- A 5x FX-format compatible telephoto zoom lens covering focal lengths of 80-400mm
- Four ED lens elements and one super ED lens element adopted for advanced optical performance
- Nano Crystal Coat adopted to effectively reduce ghost and flare
- VR performance equivalent to a 4-step increase in shutter speed (tested in accordance with CIPA guidelines at a focal length of 400mm)
- Equipped with an SWM for an AF system that is both quiet and one of the fastest in its class
- Three focus modes: A/M, M/A, M
The AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR is optimised for digital-SLR cameras with advanced optical performance. With one of the fastest AF systems in its class, the lens covers a broad range of focal lengths, from 80mm to the super-telephoto 400mm, making it ideal for photographing a variety of subjects including wild birds and landscapes, sporting events, trains and airplanes. It is also constructed with a new optical design utilising four ED lens elements and one super ED lens element, the Nano Crystal Coat which effectively reduces ghost and flare; a Vibration Reduction (VR) function that enables compensation for camera shake equivalent to a 4-step increase in shutter speed (tested in accordance with CIPA guidelines at a focal length of 400 mm); and a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) that enables quiet autofocusing. It uses Nikon’s latest exclusive optical design equipped with innovative technologies, including three focus modes-A/M (autofocus with manual override, AF priority), M/A (autofocus with manual override, manual priority) and M (manual) for superior rendering capability.