We have just added the Sony PMW-F5 to our range of hire cameras. Included in the kit is a Sony DVF-EL100 viewfinder, Vocas baseplate, Tilta top plate and top handle, two 64Gb Sony SxS Pro memory cards, card reader, as well as V-Lock batteries & charger.
Sony’s PMW-F5 CineAlta Digital Cinema Camera features 8.9MP Super 35mm sensor, encased in a rigid alloy body. Recording to both XAVC, SR codec and raw formats, this camera has a range of acquisition formats well suited to any production requirement. Data is scored on Sony SxS PRO+ memory cards, with the provision for externally capturing raw images to an off camera recording device. With 14 stops of dynamic range, the images from this camera are simply superb.
Out of the box, the F5 records 2K and HD in up to 59.94p in XAVC. With firmware update 2.0, already available, it will be able to record 4K RAW/24p and 2K RAW/120p/180p/240p to an AXS-R5 recorder, and 1080p 4:2:2 at up to 120fps internally in XAVC. With firmware update 3.0, due for release shortly, recording capability will increase to 4K RAW 1p to 60p externally, 2K RAW 1p to 240p externally, and 1080p 4:2:2 1fps to 180fps internally in XAVC. All RAW recording is 16-bit. Additional firmware upgrades will enable the SR Codec for 10-bit 4:4:4 at up to 440 Mbps.
- Additional Features Provided by Firmware Update 2.0
- 2K RAW/HD simultaneous REC
- User Gamma
- HFR Full Scan Mode no Windowing
- Rotary Dial enabled for audio level adjustment on sub display
- Fujinon Cabrio lens support, IRIS control from RM controller and REC trigger on lens
- Simultaneous output from SDI (four outputs total)
- Waveform and Histogram support
- SxS REC review
- Support for mount adapter LA-FZB1/FZB2
- Additional Features Provided by Firmware Update 3.0
- User Monitor LUT created by RAW Viewer
- AXS REC Review via SDI output
- HFR Center Scan mode
- Center Scan mode for S16mm lens
- Interval recording
- AES/EBU audio input
- Preset Sony Look profile
- User definable clip naming
- Embedded Clip name meta on SDI Output
- Highly Modular Design
- In addition to the AXS-R5 recorder, a digital interface on the F5 allows for a variety of optional viewfinders. DVF-EL100 is a 0.7″ OLED viewfinder with 1280 x 720 resolution. DVF-L350 is a 3.5″ LCD viewfinder with 960 x 540 resolution, and the eyepiece flips up for direct monitoring. DVF-L700 is a 7″ LCD viewfinder with 1920 x 1080 resolution for monitoring Full HD pixel-for-pixel. Other modular components include the optional Sony shoulder rig, which features industry-standard rosettes on both sides for quick and easy attachment of third-party hand grips and other accessories.
- Native FZ-Mount and PL-Mount Adapter
- The F5 is designed to accommodate a wide range of lenses. With the PL-mount adaptor, you can take advantage of acclaimed cine optics from Angénieux, Canon, Carl Zeiss, Cooke, FUJIFILM, Leica and more. Slip off the supplied PL-mount adaptor to reveal the native FZ-mount with an 18mm flange focal distance. The FZ-mount provides an interface for native FZ lenses like Sony’s SCL-Z18X140 auto focus servo zoom lens or a range of adaptors for still lenses, including Canon EF, Canon FD, Nikon F, Leica M and more.
- Dynamic Range Rated at 14 Stops
- The ability to render a range of exposure values from deepest shadows to brightest highlights is a crucial test of any digital camera. The F5 is capable of an impressive 14 stops of exposure latitude, low-light sensitivity and low noise in the blacks. The digital sensor’s dynamic range approaches that of traditional motion picture film.
- Intuitive One-touch Interface
- Designed with significant input from cinematographers, the F5 features an intuitive interface for a range of controls. Instead of diving through menus, you get direct, one-touch access to key shooting parameters including frame rate, shutter speed, color temperature, ISO sensitivity and gamma. Assignable buttons mean that your favorite adjustments are always at your fingertips.
- Wide Choice of Connections
- The F5 offers numerous connections to suit your workflow, including four HD-SDI jacks, HDMI, USB, DC in connection, a removable XLR audio module and a removable time code/genlock module. The XLR inputs accept balanced analogue signals, provide 48-Volt phantom power and will accept four channels of AES/EBU digital audio with an expected firmware upgrade.