The Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens is a full-frame E-mount lens with a short to medium telephoto zoom range with an equivalent focal length of 105-300mm when used with APS-C cameras. It features a constant aperture of f/4.0 for good low-light capabilities at any focal length and smooth out-of-focus elements. This makes it useful for portraits and sports photography where you want to separate the subject from the background.
For optical quality, the lens features numerous specialised elements, including Super ED and Advanced aspherical elements. These elements reduce the impact of aberrations and distortion for high resolution imaging. The lens is also benefited by the use of Nano AR coatings that reduce the effects of flaring. It even has dust- and moisture-resistant construction for use in less than ideal weather conditions.
During automatic shooting, the 70-200mm lens uses a Dual Linear Motor Autofocus System to achieve quick, precise focus and has focus hold and limiter options for improving performance in certain situations. There is also Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation for maintaining sharpness at long focal lengths or long shutter speeds. Additionally, there is a removable tripod collar and a lens hood.
- Focus hold button and focus range limiter allow you to hold focus by holding a button and adjust the range that the lens will focus between, limiting the amount of hunting the lens will do
- Panning mode adjusts the lens to account for horizontal movement while shooting
- Aspherical lenses reduce distortion and spherical aberrations that occur in large aperture lenses
- Super Nano AR coating limits glare and flaring, producing an image with good contrast and sharpness
- Low-dispersion glass elements, or ED and Super ED, reduces chromatic aberrations, producing a high contrast image with minimal fringing
- Rounded 9-blade aperture produces pleasing out-of-focus areas similar to when the lens is wide open even when closed down 2 stops
- Aperture range from f/4 to f/22
- Uses screw-on filters 72mm in diameter
- Minimum focus distance of 39.3″ with a maximum magnification of 0.13x