The Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM is a fast, versatile wide-angle lens. Making it well-suited to landscape, nature, and street photography. Its wide perspective is complemented by the f/1.4 maximum aperture. Therefore it excels in low-light and also offers increased control over depth of field. The optical design incorporates three extra-low dispersion elements to reduce chromatic aberrations. In addition, two XA (extreme aspherical) elements control spherical aberrations. This results in a high degree of image sharpness and clarity. Additionally, a Nano AR coating has been applied to limit ghosting and lens flare. This increases contrast and colour fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
Complementing the optical assets, this lens is also notable for its inclusion of an 11-blade circular diaphragm. This result, smooth, soft-edged bokeh with selective focus imagery. A linear SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) controls focus. This is quick and quiet, and also lends more responsive control for manual focus operation. The lens is also dust and moisture sealed. A dedicated focus hold button, AF/MF switch, and manual aperture ring lend further control while shooting.
As part of Sony’s G Master series, this lens achieves notably high resolution and sharpness. This is due to the correction of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature a robust and intuitive design. This benefits both photography and cine applications.
Further Information on the Sony 24mm f/1.4 GM:
- A wide-angle prime designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. This 24mm f/1.4 is also compatible with APS-C models where it will provide a 36mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions. In addition, control over focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Three extra-low dispersion elements. These control chromatic aberrations and colour fringing for improved clarity and colour neutrality.
- A Nano AR Coating reduces surface reflections, flare, and ghosting. The result, increased contrast and colour rendering in strong lighting conditions.
- A linear Super Sonic wave Motor autofocus system and internal focus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus. Also contributing to a more natural, intuitive manual focus control. An AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- A focus hold button is present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- The Aperture ring is de-clickable for smooth, silent aperture switching.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberised control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.