The Sony PXW-FS5 + 18-105mm OSS Lens Kit is the perfect setup for run and gun cinematography. The lightweight PXW-FS5 and large focal range of the 18-105mm OSS Lens makes this the perfect kit for filming documentaries, weddings or short films.
- -The 4K Super 35 EXMOR sensor features approximately 14 stops of latitude and a wide colour gamut. It offers a choice of XAVC or AVCHD codecs. The XAVC codec can be used for 4K and HD recording, while MPEG-2 is limited to HD recording. The XAVC Long allows you to encode from HD to UHD using Intra-Frame or Long GoP compression with 10-bit 422 for HD and 8-bit 420 for UHD.
- -The PXW-FS5 is equipped with an E-mount machined from solid stainless steel for stability and strength. It accepts E-mount lenses from Sony, Zeiss, and other manufacturers. The shallow flange distance allows you to mount most 35mm lens types, such as PL, DSLR, and legacy SLR lenses, including Canon EF, Leica, and Nikon as well as many others with mechanical adapters.
- -The camera includes an ergonomic handgrip that Sony calls a SmartGrip, which features Zoom, Start/Stop and Assign controls. The SmartGrip facilitates camera operation with the right hand, leaving the left hand free to operate the lens. The handgrip can be positioned at different angles permitting greater flexibility.
- -The camera features two SD media slots that support simultaneous or relay recording. One of the two SD slots also accepts Memory Stick-type media.
- -All input, output connectors feature covers for dust protection; this applies even to the DC input and LANC connector. The media card slots and Multi-Terminal are likewise protected from dust by a swing away door.
- -The camera includes a removable top handle that incorporates a second XLR 3-pin audio input that compliments the 3-pin XLR input incorporated into the body. Both audio inputs feature a selector switch for line/mic/mic+48.
- -The top handle allows you to attach the LCD viewfinder to the camera, providing you with a choice of using the camera’s built-in EVF, or a larger LCD view screen. Audio level control is on the main body of the camera and offers automatic gain control.
- -A built-in, electronic, variable ND system allows you to dial in anywhere from 1/4 to 1/128th ND filtration in the camera body, allowing you to eschew the use of optical ND filters. The variable ND also features four preset positions; off, 1/4, 1/16, and 1/64.
- -One SDI connector provides HD 10-bit 422 output. In addition, one A-type HDMI 2.0 provides 4K and HD output. Both the SDI and HDMI ports can output REC trigger and TC following Sony’s established transmission method.
- -The PXW-FS5 records to XAVC-L QFHD 8-bit 420 (up to 30fps) and HD 10-bit 422 (up to 60fps) internally.
- -The PXW-FS5 has Simultaneous-Recording capability with Individual Rec Trigger. Mirror or back-up recording is possible. There are two Rec s/s buttons: one on the camera grip, the other on the camera handle. The target SD card slot for each trigger is assigned in the Recording Menu.
- -The PXX-FS5 is capable of simultaneously recording proxy files with the same name and time code as the main recordings.
- -The camera has a built in Wi-Fi capabilities that enables live streaming to PCs, tablets, and smart phones. When using content Browser mobile, the user can even control the camera wirelessly. One (1) Ethernet connector located on the rear panel of the camera provides robust connections when a reliable Wi-Fi link is not available.
- -Recorded movie files can be transferred via network to a designated FTP server. The following file format is available for FTP:
XAVC Proxy files
XAVC-L recorded files (4K(QFHD) & HD)
AVCHD files (only m2ts stream files)
- Zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-158mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture enables greater consistency throughout the zoom range and benefits working in dim conditions with longer focal lengths.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation works to minimise the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps to benefit shooting handheld in dim lighting and with greater zoom magnifications.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements and three aspherical elements helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range while also contributing to overall image sharpness and clarity.
- Handy cam technology is used, along with a floating axis design, to provide smooth, quiet zooming performance that is well-suited to movie recording.
- Internal zoom and focus design helps to maintain a constant lens length with a non-rotating front element to support use of polarising filters.
- Zoom lever allows greater control over the speed of zoom using either variable or fixed-speed settings.
- Separate, dedicated focusing ring permits direct manipulation of focus and gives way to separate power zoom and manual focus controls for greater precision.