Weighing just 75 grams, the HERO4 Session from GoPro is 50% smaller and 40% lighter than previous HERO4 models. Sporting up to 1080p60 video capture (1920 x 1440 at 30 fps), notable design tweaks include a cube-like shape that can be virtually flush-mounted as well as an integrated waterproof housing rated to 10m. Keeping things simple, the HERO4 Session uses just a single button to power the camera on and start recording. This doesn’t mean it lacks customisable settings, though. Simply tether the camera with a Wi-Fi- or Bluetooth-enabled smart device or the separately available Smart Remote from GoPro to tap into setting likes Ultra Wide and Medium field of view (FOV), select a preferred video resolution and frame rate, enable one of the still photos modes, and more.
Although the design has changed, your mounting options have not. With the included Standard Frame, you can use any three-prong, thumbscrew GoPro mount – the same ones that work with other GoPro models. For near-flush mounting, you can instead opt for the Low-Profile Frame. To get you started, the HERO4 Sessions includes is one Curved and one Flat adhesive mount for semi-permanent attachment to boards, helmets, and other non-porous surfaces, along with a mounting ball joint and mounting buckles to quickly connect or release the camera to or from its mount. The camera powers from an internal battery lasting up to two hours, and a Micro-to-standard-USB cable is included for charging/powering and file transfer.
- Compact, Place Anywhere Design
- The HERO4 Session is 50% smaller and 40% lighter than other HERO4 cameras, weighing just 75 grams.
- Rugged, Waterproof Design
- No separate housing is required, as the HERO Sessions is built into a 10m underwater housing that also serves to protect the camera from sand, dust, and other hazards.
- One-Button Control
- A single press of the shutter button powers on the camera and begins capturing video or time-lapse photos automatically. A second press of the shutter button stops recording and powers off the camera.
- Up to 1080p60 (16:9) and 1440p30 (4:3) HD Video Capture
- In widescreen HD you can record at up to 1080p with a high 60 fps frame rate to help ensure fast action plays back smoothly. For a higher vertical resolution, there is also the 4:3 1440p mode that records at up to 30 fps.
- SuperView Mode
- For an even more immersive experience, you can enable the SuperView mode to take advantage of the surface area of the whole sensor. In this mode, the camera records a 4:3 image that is stretched to fill a 16:9 frame.
- Up to 120 fps Slow Motion
- For super slow-motion in HD, the HERO4 Sessions offers 720p at 100 fps as well as SD WVGA (848 x 480) at up to 120 fps.
- Up to 8MP Still Photos
- Not just a video camera, nail the perfect still shot with a variety of photo modes. Capture 8MP single photos, time-lapse photos at set intervals from 0.5 to 60 seconds, and Burst photos at up to 10 frames per second.
- In this mode, the camera records a continuous video loop that overwrites itself until you press the shutter button to stop it and save.
- Auto Low Light
- Auto Low Light mode intelligently changes frame rates based on lighting conditions for optimal low-light performance, enabling you to move between bright and dark environments without having to adjust your camera settings.
- Protune For Video
- Protune unlocks the camera’s full potential, delivering minimally compressed video optimized for professional productions, with advanced manual controls for photos and video. Flex your creativity with customisable settings for ISO limit and sharpness. Protune is available for 1080p in 16:9 and 1440p or 960p60/50 in 4:3. (Not available for Looping Video or photos modes).
- HiLight Tag
- HiLight Tag enables you to mark key moments while recording so you can locate your favorite clips later for convenient playback, editing, or sharing using the GoPro App or Smart Remote (available separately).
- Built-In Battery
- The battery is built directly into the camera and offers up to two hours of recording time on a full charge (depending on settings and usage). The included USB cable allows for charging the camera with your computer or the separately available GoPro Auto or Wall Chargers.
Wireless Monitoring and Control
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connectivity
- For app based control or using the separately available Smart Remote both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless links are provided. With the Smart Remote, a range of up to 200′ is supported.
- Control with App or Optional Smart Remote
- You can access most of the modes found on other HERO4 cameras using the free GoPro App or separately available Smart Remote. From single photos to time-lapse, burst photos to looping video – HERO4 Session does it all. You can also use the app or remote to adjust settings like video resolution, frame rate, field of view, and more.
- Upside Down Mount
- Automatic image rotation means you can mount the camera upside down, if doing so is more convenient, without the need to flip the image in post.