The Canon 70-200mm f4 IS telephoto is a superb lens. Light and portable, with an up to 4-stop image stabiliser and fast USM autofocus. This lens provides a lightweight alternative to the bigger telephotos that require far more space when in transit and lifting power when in use.
It is fully compatible with the Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x teleconverters (requires f/8 AF sensitivity with EF 2x) and features optical image stabilization (IS) to reduce the blur caused by camera shake. The image stabilization provides the equivalent effect of a shutter speed 4 stops faster and offers an IS mode optimized for following shots of moving subjects.
Like every autofocus Canon L series lens, the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM delivers optical performance equal to similar fixed focal length lenses, with silent, high-speed ultrasonic (USM) focusing and full-time manual focus override capacity. A focus range limiting option also enables faster autofocus rates.
Distortions and aberrations are remarkably small for a lens of such capability. This lens combines 1 artificial fluorite element with 2 UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) elements to help achieve images free of secondary spectrum aberrations, which are often the bane of consumer-grade telephoto zooms. It is light enough to not need a tripod collar, but for handling purposes there is an optional tripod collar.
The minimum focusing distance is 3.9′ (1.2m) throughout its entire range of focal lengths, and it accepts 67mm screw-in filters. A tight seal structure provides protection from dust and moisture for optimal performance in difficult environments.
- An autofocus telephoto zoom lens for both film and digital cameras with constant f/4 maximum aperture performance.
- Two-mode optical image stabilization provides up to 4 shutter speed stops of compensation against blur from camera shake. Mode 2 is optimized for panning shots of moving subjects.
- An ultrasonic autofocus motor (USM) provides fast, silent autofocus action.
- Full-time manual focus override enables precise manual focus at all times, even in AF mode.
- Two focus distance ranges enable you to adjust the autofocus to fit your needs and shorten AF speeds. The ranges are 3.9′ to infinity for closer subjects and 9.8′ to infinity.
- Internal zooming and focusing means that the lens’ front element does not rotate.
- Uses 1 fluorite and 2 UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) elements to help control secondary spectrum aberrations.
- Professionally sealed against moisture and dust ingress
- Circular aperture diaphragm for natural-looking out of focus highlights
- Significantly lighter than the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses.
- Uses 67mm filters, is compatible with the optional A-II(W) tripod collar and the 1.4x II and 2.0x II extenders.